Lactation is the process of milk production in the mammary glands in women. Lactation is considered normal for every woman ho is expecting or who has recently given birth to a child. The secretion of the milk depends from two hormones prolactin and oxytocin. The role of both these hormones is to prepare the mammary glands for milk production during pregnancy, to stimulate uterine contractions after childbirth and to initiate the process of lactation few days after the child is born. However, in some cases women can lactate without being pregnant (Read also: No Periods and Not Pregnant).
Lactate Without Being Pregnant – Reasons to Be Concerned
Some of the reasons for milk production without being pregnant and giving birth first include:
- Galactorrhea – is the most common cause of milk secretion without breastfeeding. It is a milky and white discharge. This condition is not normal and indicates an underlying problem that needs to be investigated. It can be caused due to pituitary gland problems, but it can also result as a side effect of various medications. Proper diagnosis and treatment of the underlying condition that has led to galactorrhea is necessary. Rarely, galactorrhea affects also men and children.
- Side effects of medication – the lactation without being related to pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding can also occur as a side effect of various medications such as anti – depressants, birth control pills, etc.
- Pituitary gland tumors – usually as they grow in size produce increased amounts of the hormone prolactin. As a result of increased levels of prolactin, the production of milk is stimulated.
Reasons for Milk Production Without Being Pregnant
- Nerve damage – any physical trauma or other injuries of the breast and chest wall also induce lactation.
- Hypothyroidism – can be associated with higher quantities of prolactin than usual, which can lead to lactation.
- Chronic kidney diseases – women who suffer from chronic kidney diseases usually have higher levels of prolactin than normal, due to the fact that the kidney are not able to filtrate and eliminate this hormone as it should. High levels of prolactin induce the process of milk production.
- Hormonal imbalance – which occurs during miscarriage also may indicate lactation without being pregnant.
- Injuries of the spinal cords – also induce lactation due to the stimulation of the endocrine glands.
- Consumption of certain herbs – like fennel, cumin or kelabat may induce lactation.
Milk Secretion Without Being Pregnant Needs Medical Treatment
You should seek medical help immediately and consult with a your health care provider in NYC as soon as you notice white and milky discharge that comes from your breasts, but you are not pregnant or you have not given birth recently. It could all be something not serious like consumption of certain herbs, hormonal imbalance or as a side effect of certain medications that you have started to take recently. However, keep in mind that it could be due to something more serious like pituitary gland tumors, which requires proper diagnosis and medical treatment.
No matter what the reason for milk secretion without being pregnant is, seek proper medical help, get diagnosed and get treated.